COVID-19 Impact on Goodwill of the Heartland Operations
Updated May 8, 2020
Goodwill of the Heartland is a non-profit charitable organization and that we rely on our retail stores to fund our mission - advancing the social and economic wellbeing of people who experience barriers to independence. We have seen a significant decline in retail sales over the past few weeks and we are understandably concerned.
Please consider an online financial donation. Your contribution will help carry our organization through this difficult time. It will also ensure that we are prepared to meet the demand for assistance that we know is coming. Our goal is to be a leader in getting people back to work after this crisis has passed.
Due to the Iowa Governor lifting some restrictions on 77 of Iowa’s 99 counties, effective Monday, May 11th, the following Goodwill stores will re-open for donations only and with limited hours.
Effective Friday, May 15th these same stores will be open to shoppers with new safety precautions in place:
- Cedar Rapids East
- Cedar Rapids South
- Cedar Rapids West
- Iowa City
Store Hours at these locations will be Mon-Sat 11 am – 6 pm; Sun 12 pm – 5 pm until further notice.
Our remaining locations in Iowa and Illinois remain closed until further notice.
If you plan to visit our stores listed above, please note the safety measures we will have in place:
- We’ll be requiring that face masks be worn by both our employees and shoppers.
- We’ve installed plexiglass sneeze guards at our cash registers.
- We’ll have a no-touch donations drop off, where donors will place their donations directly into gaylord boxes.
- We’ll quarantine donations for 72 hours before processing them for the sales floor.
- We’ll be limiting the number of shoppers to 33 at one time (5/1000 square feet).
- We’ll station a greeter at the front entrance to sanitize carts, welcome shoppers and explain our new protocols (mask requirement, social distancing, etc.).
- We’ll use floor tape to designate places for customers to stand (6 feet apart) in line at our registers.
- We’ll close dressing rooms and turn off drinking fountains.
- We’ll engage in regular cleaning and disinfecting of public and employee areas throughout the day.
We value your donations and ask that you please not leave donations outside in the elements while our stores are closed.
Our goal is to resume normal operations as soon as possible.
Don’t’ forget that you can also support our mission by shopping online. We are open for business 24/7 at shopgoodwill.com
Effective Monday, May 11th, shopgoodwill.com will resume local pickup. Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
We are implementing a “contactless” procedure for all pick-up orders. When you arrive, please remain outside and call us at 319-739-5014 (this is a new number we set up which rings directly in our E-Commerce Department due to our front office being closed). We will bring your items outside at our front entrance and allow you to retrieve your purchases from a cart. We will no longer be asking for a signature when you pick up your items. Our team members will be required to wear a face mask; please also consider wearing a face mask when you come to pick up your items.
Helms Career Centers
Our Career Centers located inside of our Clinton, Muscatine and Keokuk, Iowa stores and our Moline, Illinois store are temporarily closed.
Day Habilitation Centers
Our Day Habilitation centers are temporarily closed. This applies to our programs in Burlington, Cedar Rapids, Clinton, Iowa City the Quad Cities.
Our Contract Services are fully operational at this time.
The Edgars Annual Achievement Awards
The event scheduled for Friday, May 8th at the Marriott in Coralville, Iowa has been cancelled. There are no plans to reschedule at this time.